The Sarah Payne Story

1 July, 2000

Hersham, Walton-on-Thames

The murder of Sarah Payne caused a national outcry because of perpetrator Roy Whiting's lenient sentence for a previous conviction. Whiting was one of the first people ever to be included on the Sex Offenders Register
BornSarah Evelyn Isobel Payne
13 October 1991
Walton-on-Thames, Surrey, England
Diedc. 1 July 2000 (aged 8)
Cause of deathStrangulation, suffocation or a combination of both
Body discoveredPulborough, West Sussex,
17 July 2000
Parent(s)Michael and Sara Payne

Eight-year-old Sarah Payne was last seen alive playing near her grandparents home in  the village of Kingston Gorse, West Sussex, on 1 July 2000.
It was a beautiful sunny day and Sarah, who had been visiting her grandparents during the school holidays, had gone to play in a field of tall corn with her two brothers and her 13-year-old sister.

The children had been playing hide and seek in the tall crops, so when Sarah vanished, her family at first thought she was hiding.
But as the hours dragged on and she did not re-appear fears grew for her safety. The following day, when she had not turned up or contacted any of her family, police launched a huge search for her.
Although they hoped for a happy outcome, experienced detectives in the Sussex force feared she might have been abducted by a predatory paedophile.
They started by checking on any suspects who may have had a history of sex offences against children who were living in the West Sussex area.
One of the first to be seen was 41-year-old Roy Whiting who lived in the nearby town of Littlehampton, about five miles from where Sarah had last been seen.

Five years earlier he had abducted and seriously sexually attacked an 8-year-old girl in the nearby village of Langley Green.
He got caught after police issued an appeal in the media about a man driving a red Ford Sierra. A witness informed police that Whiting had just hurriedly sold such a vehicle.
Three months later, Whiting admitted charges of abduction and indecent assault. The maximum sentence for his crime could have been a life term, and a psychiatrist who examined him told the court that he was a man who was likely to re-offend when he was released.
But because Whiting had been co-operative and pleaded guilty straight away, the judge displayed leniency and he received a jail term of just four years.
It meant that Whiting would serve just over half of his sentence. He was released in November 1997. In fact, he could have been released even earlier but he was made to serve an additional five months behind bars because he refused to go on a sex offenders rehabilitation course.
However, when he was freed, Whiting became one of the first people in Britain to be placed on the newly set up Sex Offenders Register, legislation that meant he had to tell police where he was living - and fulfil other conditions.
Mourning: Sara and Michael Payne at the funeral of their daughter Sarah in August 2000 

When the investigating officers asked him what he knew about Sarah Payne, he told them he had nothing to do with her disappearance.
But the detectives formed the view he was acting like a man with something to hide.
After questioning him, officers saw him driving off in a white van, a vehicle he had not disclosed he owned. He was stopped and arrested.
Asked to say where he was when Sarah disappeared Whiting said he had been at a fun fair at Hove at the time and had gone home at about 9pm.
But a petrol receipt found at his home showed he had been at a garage in Pulborough, which contradicted his alibi.
As no body had been found and there was no evidence linking him to Sarah, Whiting was released on bail, but the petrol receipt was to take on huge significance later.
On July 17, Sarah’s body was found in undergrowth by the side of a field near Pulborough, about 15 miles from where she had disappeared and only three miles from the garage where the receipt showed Whiting had bought fuel on July 1.

Police re-arrested Whiting, but a search of his home and his van yielded no fresh clues and he was once again allowed to go.
Then he did something foolish that helped the investigation. He stole a Vauxhall Nova car, and when spotted by police, a high-speed chase developed.
Whiting was finally caught after he crashed into another car. He was jailed for 22 months for stealing the car and dangerous driving.
With the main suspect in prison, police had more time to carry out scientific tests on his Fiat Ducato van.
One strand of blonde hair was found on a man’s tee shirt in the back. DNA tests showed the chances of it NOT belonging to Sarah were a billion to one.
But more crucial scientific evidence was to follow.
When Sarah’s body was found her clothes were missing. But a member of the public found a child’s shoe in a country lane and handed it to the police.  
The shoe was subjected to the most up-to-date forensic examination, and on it were fibres that matched a carpet in the back of Whiting’s van.

Charged with murder, Whiting appeared at Lewes Crown Court for trial in February 2001. The proceedings lasted for a month, at the end of which the jury found him guilty and he was sentenced to life in jail. The judge recommended that Whiting should serve fifty years, not being released until he was 92.

After he was convicted, details of his previous conviction for abduction and sexual assault were revealed publicly. 
Sarah’s mother Sara then led a high-profile campaign to have the law changed so that parents could have access to the Sex Offenders Register to see if they had paedophiles living near to them.
The case was compared to the Megan’s Law controversy in the USA following the murder of 10-year-old Megan Kanka.
After his conviction, her killer was revealed as a man who had raped children in the past. Opponents said it would lead to a rise in vigilantism and violent attacks on those suspected of having offended against children.
However, after a pilot programme, a scheme allowing limited access to the Sex Offenders Register is now in place across Britain.

The wording has been altered slightly so as to use the first name of Sarah, rather than the disgusting habit that Wikipedia has of calling murdered little girls by only their surnames. They show no more respect to the victims than they do to the murderers. So, regardless of Wikipedia's efforts, Sarah will be Sarah throughout this report.
Roy Whiting

Does anybody know why predatory
 paedophiles are always so ugly? 

BornRoy William Whiting
26 January 1959 (age 58)
Horsham, West Sussex, England
OccupationCar mechanic, delivery worker, building labourer
Criminal penaltyLife imprisonment (minimum term of 40 years)
Criminal statusIncarcerated at HM Prison Wakefield
Spouse(s)Linda Booker (m. 1986–1990)
Conviction(s)Indecent assault, theft, dangerous drivingabduction, murder
Roy Whiting, Robert Black. Funny isn't it that they both have first names beginning with R and their second names are colour opposites. Both extremely sick individuals who do not deserve to breathe the air that God left surrounding the earth for the rest of us to breathe. 
Let's look at this sicko - from Wikipedia:

Conviction(s) Indecent assault, theft, dangerous driving, abduction, murder

Roy William Whiting was born in Horsham hospital in West Sussex on 26 January 1959. He was one of six children born to George and Pamela Whiting, but three of his siblings died in infancy; his only surviving siblings were an older brother and younger sister. He grew up in Langley Green, Crawley. He attended Jordan's primary school, then Ifield secondary school. In June 1986 he married Linda Booker in Ifield, West Sussex. They separated before their son was born in July 1987 and divorced in 1990.

Whiting was involved in banger racing during the late 1980s, but abandoned his interest in the sport due to a lack of success.

Whiting's first conviction

On 4 March 1995, an eight-year-old girl was abducted and sexually assaulted in the Langley Green area of Crawley. Whiting was arrested a few weeks later after a man who knew Whiting came forward after hearing that the abductor's car had been a red Ford Sierra, which matched the description of the car that Whiting had just sold. The vehicle was then traced by police to its new owner and a knife was found hidden in it; the victim had claimed that her abductor had told her he had a knife in his possession.

Three months later, Whiting admitted charges of abduction and indecent assault, and was sentenced to four years in prison. The maximum sentence for the crime was life imprisonment; however, he received a lesser sentence because he had admitted to the crime at an early opportunity, although a psychiatrist who assessed Whiting after his conviction said that he was likely to re-offend once he was released.

Whiting was released from prison in November 1997, having served 2 years and 5 months of his 4-year sentence, and was one of the first people in Britain to go on the sex offenders' register. He had been forced to serve an extra five months in prison before being released on licence as penalty for refusing to undergo a sex offenders rehabilitation course.

Whiting moved 40 km (25 mi) away from Crawley to Littlehampton on the West Sussex coast, upon his release.

Sarah Payne's disappearance

Sarah Payne, who lived in Hersham, Surrey, disappeared on the evening of 1 July 2000 from a cornfield near the home of her paternal grandparents, Terence and Lesley Payne, in Kingston Gorse, West Sussex, England. Sarah had been playing with her two elder brothers (aged 13 and 11 at the time) and younger sister (aged 6). A nationwide search commenced within 48 hours, and Sarah's parents made numerous television and newspaper appeals for her safe return. On the evening of 2 July 2000, officers from Sussex Police first visited Whiting making inquiries into Sarah's disappearance. A number of other suspects were also questioned and at least one other arrest is known to have been made.

Police officers and numerous volunteers scoured the area around Littlehampton for clues to Sarah's disappearance, and her family made daily appeals on national television news for help in finding Sarah. On 10 July, police announced that they had received information regarding the sighting of a girl who matched Sarah's description at Knutsford Services on the M6 motorway in Cheshire on the morning after her disappearance. Three days later, Michael and Sara Payne were warned by police to "prepare for the worst", explaining that the emphasis of their inquiries had shifted and that there was a possibility that their daughter might not be found safe and well.

On 17 July, a body was found in a field near Pulborough, some 24 km (15 mi) from Kingston Gorse where she had disappeared. Within 24 hours, forensic science tests confirmed that the body was that of Sarah Payne, and Sussex Police began a murder investigation.

Murder investigation

Whiting was first questioned about the disappearance of Sarah, which had taken place about 8 km (5 mi) from Whiting's home, some 24 hours after she went missing. Whiting was routinely questioned as he had been placed on the sex offender registry. On the officers' first visit to Whiting's home earlier that day, he was not there. The police returned five hours later and questioned Whiting for over an hour before leaving.

Soon after questioning, Whiting walked to his van, but was stopped by undercover police and arrested. Whiting spent two days in custody, but there was no evidence to press any charges and Whiting was released on bail. Police had found a receipt for fuel from Buck Barn garage on the A24, not far from Coolham where one of Sarah's shoes was found. This contradicted his alibi of being at a funfair in Hove at 5:30 pm and then returning to his flat by 9.30 pm on the night that Sarah had disappeared.

On 20 July, a shoe was recovered from a roadside in the village of Coolham, three miles from Pulborough, and identified as one of those belonging to Sarah Payne.

On 23 July 2000, Whiting stole a Vauxhall Nova and was pursued by police at speeds of up to 70 miles per hour (110 km/h) before crashing into a parked vehicle. Whiting was arrested on a charge of dangerous driving. Whiting was remanded in custody until 27 September 2000, when he admitted taking the car and driving dangerously and was jailed for 22 months.

After Whiting began his jail term for the car theft and dangerous driving, detectives carried out forensic tests on his 1988 white Fiat Ducato van, which he had bought on 23 June 2000. On 6 February 2001, following a police enquiry, Whiting was charged with the abduction and murder of Sarah Payne.

The Trial

By 6 February 2001, Sussex Police had enough evidence to press charges against Whiting, who appeared at Lewes Crown Court that day, charged with abduction and murder. Whiting pleaded not guilty to both charges and was remanded in custody, with his trial due to start on 14 November 2001. He was still serving his sentence for the motoring offences at this stage, but the new charges against him prevented his release from prison during the summer of that year for the motoring offences.

On 14 November 2001 at Lewes Crown Court, the jury heard from several witnesses. The key witnesses included Sarah's oldest brother who had seen a 'scruffy-looking man with yellowish teeth' drive by. However, Lee Payne did not pick out Roy Whiting when he was selected for an identity parade. One of Sarah's shoes was found by a member of the public in a country lane and forensic tests had found fibres from Whiting's van on the shoe. This was the only item of Sarah's clothing to be recovered. A strand of blonde hair on a T-shirt was found in Whiting's van. A DNA test established there was a one-in-a-billion chance of it belonging to anyone other than Sarah.

On 12 December 2001, after a four-week trial before Mr Justice Curtis and a jury, Whiting was convicted of the abduction and murder of Sarah and he was sentenced to life imprisonment. The trial judge said it was a rare case in which a life sentence should mean life.

After Whiting was convicted, his previous convictions were revealed; it had previously been withheld from the jury and media amid police fears that any knowledge in court of his previous conviction could jeopardize the trial and in the event of being convicted, Whiting would argue that he had been tried on the evidence of an earlier crime, paving the way for a potentially successful appeal. There were renewed calls for the government to allow controlled public access to the sex offender's register, although the Home Office commented the day after Whiting's conviction that such a system would be "unworkable" and run the risk of driving paedophiles "underground", making it more difficult for the police to monitor and locate them, as well as putting them in danger of vigilante attacks.

This case is also notable for the extensive use of forensic sciences in establishing the prosecution case against Whiting. Twenty forensic experts from a variety of fields were employed during the inquiry, including entomology, palynology/environmental profiling, pathology, geology, archaeology, and oil/lubricant analysis. It has been estimated that the investigation involved one thousand personnel and cost more than £2 million.

Whiting's sentence

On 24 November 2002, Home Secretary David Blunkett ordered that Roy Whiting must serve a minimum of 50 years in prison. This made him ineligible for parole until 2051, meaning that he would have to live to be at least 92 before parole could be considered; this was in effect an agreement with the trial judge's recommendation of a whole life tariff. Within 48 hours of the ruling being made, the Law Lords and the European Court of Human Rights had ruled in favour of another convicted murderer (Anthony Anderson) who was challenging the right of politicians to decide how long a murderer must spend in prison before being considered for parole.

In June 2004, it was confirmed that Whiting would be applying to the Court of Appeal for a new minimum term to be set. On 9 June 2010, Whiting's appeal resulted in his 50-year jail term being reduced by 10 years by a High Court judge. Whiting's lawyers argued that the 50-year tariff, imposed just before the power of Home Secretaries to determine how long prisoners sentenced to life should serve lapsed, was politically motivated; the decision was also made at a time when the government was under fire from the public and media over a firefighters strike. Mr Justice Simon said that under 2010 sentencing guidelines, Whiting may have received a whole life tariff, but apparently arrived at the 40-year term by retroactively applying guidelines from the time of the original sentencing. Whiting is now serving a 40-year minimum term, which is set to keep him in prison until at least 2041, when he will be 82. Sarah's mother, Sara, was present and said she was "disappointed" by the decision and "life should mean life".

Sarah's Law

"Sarah's Law" redirects here. For other uses, see Sarah's Law (disambiguation).

See also: Criminal record § United Kingdom

The campaign for Sarah's Law was spearheaded by the News of the World newspaper, and began in July 2000 in response to the murder of Sarah Payne. Sarah Payne's parents backed up the campaign as they were sure that a child sex offender had been responsible for their daughter's death. Their belief was proved correct 17 months later when Roy Whiting was found guilty of killing Sarah Payne, and it was revealed that he already had a conviction for abducting and indecently assaulting an eight-year-old girl.

The aim of the campaign was for the government to allow controlled access to the sex offender registry, so parents with young children could know if a child sex-offender was living in their area. Sarah Payne's mother has always insisted that such a law would have saved her daughter's life.

A modified scheme where parents can enquire about a named individual was introduced in four pilot areas of England and Wales in September 2008. In August 2010 the Home Office announced that after proving successful, the Child Sex Offender Disclosure Scheme would be extended to cover the whole of England and Wales by spring 2011.


Sarah's mother, Sara Payne, has subsequently written a book, Sara Payne: A Mother's Story, about her daughter's murder and the aftermath, including her campaign for Sarah's Law. The book was published in 2004.

In July 2001, it was reported that Sarah's parents received £11,000 compensation from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority an executive agency of the UK Government Sara Payne described the offer as a "sick joke" and "derisory", even though it was the maximum CICA could offer by law.

Sara Payne was made a Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) in December 2008 for her work behind Sarah's Law. In December 2009, she suffered a life-threatening stroke and collapsed while at her home in December 2011.

In July 2011 it was revealed that Sara Payne had been among those targeted in the News International phone hacking scandal. She refused to believe it, since they had been so helpful in championing Sarah's Law. She even wrote an editorial in the newspaper's final edition. Investigators initially thought she was not hacked because her name did not come up in records. However, personal details relating to her were found that were attributed to another suspected victim. Sara's phone that was hacked was given to her by the News of the World's editor at the time of the murder, Rebekah Brooks.

Sarah's father, Michael, suffered from depression following the disappearance of his daughter. He separated from his wife of 18 years in August 2003, and subsequently became an alcoholic, leading to a 16-month jail term for attacking his brother with a glass in December 2011, during a drunken incident. On 30 October 2014, aged 45 he was found dead at his home in Maidstone, Kent; police reported there were no suspicious circumstances.

Attacks in prison

On 4 August 2002, Whiting was attacked with a razor by another prisoner while fetching hot water at Wakefield Prison. Convicted killer Rickie Tregaskis (serving life imprisonment with a 25-year recommended minimum for the 1997 murder of a disabled man in Cornwall) was found guilty of carrying out the slashing which left Whiting with a six-inch scar on his right cheek. Tregaskis received a six-year sentence (to run concurrently alongside his life sentence) after being found guilty on a wounding charge relating to the attack on Roy Whiting. This will not mean that he will have to serve any extra time in prison if the Parole Board decides that he can be freed on life licence.

In July 2011 Whiting was again attacked in prison, this time stabbed in the eye. No charge was pressed by Whiting and consequently a police investigation into the assault was not undertaken. Whiting's injuries were not life-threatening.

free templates