The Katie Rough Story

January 9th, 2017
KATIE Rough was just seven years old when she was found with her throat cut in a playing field near her home in Woodthorpe, York.

Who was Katie Rough?

Katie was a seven-year-old girl from York who died after she was found in a field with fatal knife wounds on January 9.

She had been smothered then slashed and stabbed with a Stanley bladeResidents told of the heart-wrenching scenes when devastated mum Alison found Katie and fell to her knees, screaming "no, no my little girl".

Little Katie had been a bridesmaid at her parents' wedding just two weeks before she was killed.

She was pictured wearing a silver sequined dress as she proudly stood by mum Alison and dad Paul.

The little girl's death shocked her local community, with people banding together to support the family.

Katie was described as a "kind and thoughtful child" by her teachers at Westfield Primary School.

Katie's parents were pictured in January at a memorial service on what would have been the young girl's eighth birthday.

Tearful Paul and Alison, who were accompanied by family members and the Archbishop of York John Sentamu, released six multicoloured balloons.

Following her death, Katie's distraught mother said “life will never be the same” after changing her Facebook profile photo to two wrists with tattooed tributes to the tragic seven-year-old.

In one of the tattoos, a Dr Seuss-inspired message reads: “Today you are You, that is truer than true.

"There is no one alive who is youer than you”.

The family of the little girl released a poignant video tribute to Katie, with her mother writing: "I wish I could have her back".

The killer had suffocated Katie with a gloved hand before slashing her throat with a Stanley knife and stabbing her in the chest.

At 4.37pm her attacker called 999 to say: “She’s dead.”

Officers used mobile phone technology to locate the caller. They then frantically launched a search for Katie.

Thirteen minutes later Katie’s mum, Alison, 38 — unaware of the horror — rang police to report her missing.

She said she had not seen Katie for 45 minutes, it is understood.

Officers found Katie unconscious in a playing field behind a row of houses.

Her parents rushed to the scene, and Alison cradled her daughter's bloodied head as she screamed out: "She's killed my daughter", a court heard.

Prosecutor Graham Reeds, QC, said in July: "Upon seeing the bleeding in Katie's hair, Alison started to scream.

"She tried to cradle Katie's head and the officer led both parents away in considerable distress."

Katie was taken to hospital but was pronounced dead shortly after.

A 16-year-old girl was charged with the murder of seven-year-old Katie Rough.

The girl, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, was 15 at the time of the horror attack.

A court heard the teen was suffering from a schizo-personality disorder at the time of the attack and had a history of depression, delusional beliefs - which included thinking other people were "robots" and "not real" - and self harm.

Prosecutor Graham Reeds QC said the defendant got stressed when a psychologist asked her whether she killed Katie “to test if she was human”.

Mr Reeds told the court: “She thought that Katie was not human and was a robot.

“A letter at the scene said ‘they are not human’.”

The court also head the teen had planned to kill and cops found a Lion King stuffed toy in her bedroom with its ears ripped off and chest sliced open.

The accused denied murder but admitted the manslaughter of Katie by means of diminished responsibility.

The girl sobbed at Leeds crown court as she was told she would be assessed in a specialist hospital for 12 weeks.

The judge Mr Justice Soole told her: "It is not in dispute that you currently pose a high risk of serious harm to others and to yourself."

She was handed a life sentence for manslaughter and ordered to be detained for a minimum of five years by a judge at Leeds Crown Court on November 24.

What was said at Katie Rough's inquest?

An inquest into Katie Rough's death opened in York in January.

It heard how hospital staff tried to save the seven-year-old but were unable to resuscitate her.

Det Insp Mark Pearson of North Yorkshire Police was the only witness.

He said that on the 9th of January 9, 2017, following a call to police, officers attended a field where they found Katie Sharon Rough with severe injuries.

She was taken to York Hospital where, despite best efforts, she could not be resuscitated.

Katie was confirmed dead at 5.45pm the same day and identified by her dad, Paul Rough.

Senior coroner Rob Turnbull adjourned the inquest until the conclusion of the criminal proceedings.

From The Telegraph

Katie Rough death: 16-year-old given life sentence for manslaughter after killing girl 'because she thought she was a robot'

Ateenager who killed a seven-year-old girl in a park has been given a life sentence and ordered to be detained for a minimum of five years by a judge who said it was a "truly exceptional case".
Katie Rough died after she was smothered by the 16-year-old girl, who cannot be named and was 15 at the time, and then slashed with a Stanley knife in a park in York, in January.
The defendant, who admitted manslaughter due to diminished responsibility at a previous hearing, appeared by video-link at Leeds Crown Court as Katie's family looked on from the jury box.
The teenager sat with her head down, clutching a soft toy, throughout the hearing.
She was flanked on screen by a court usher and a youth team leader who confirmed the girl's name when she was asked to identify herself by the judge, Mr Justice Soole.

The judge told her: "The gravity of the offence of killing a small child speaks for itself."
He said: "The level of danger to the public is high. In the circumstances of your continuing silence, the critical question is whether there is any reliable estimate as to how long that danger will continue."
Katie was found with severe lacerations to her neck and chest on a field in the Woodthorpe area of York on January 9 and did not respond to frantic attempts to revive her.
But a judge heard earlier this year that she actually died from being smothered by her teenager attacker.
At that earlier hearing, the court heard that the teenager was found standing in a cul-de-sac in a York suburb, covered in blood and carrying a blood-stained Stanley knife as she rang 999 to tell police what she had done.
The judge was told she may have been trying to prove Katie was not a robot as she had "irrational beliefs".
He heard that the girl began suffering from mental health problems more than a year before the killing.
Prosecutors said she had reported delusional thoughts as well as depression, self-harm and suicidal thoughts.
They said the girl had talked of being convinced that people "weren't human and were robots".
The previous hearing was told that the girl became distressed when one doctor asked her later "whether she killed Katie to test whether she was a robot".
Nicholas Johnson QC, defending, told the last hearing it may be that his client was "driven by the irrational belief (Katie) may not have been human and needed proof of this".
He said the teenager had thoughts that people around her "may not be human and may be controlled by a higher and hostile force".
The barrister said his client had posted a picture on social media two days before the killing with a concerning message.
He said: "She was clearly crying out for help and support."
The girl denied murder but pleaded guilty to manslaughter by diminished responsibility at the hearing in July.
This plea was accepted by the prosecution.
free templates